Friday, February 3, 2012

Week 5 - Singapore nights

This week has been interesting for photography. First, I'm in Singapore on a business trip. I'm traveling alone which means that I have plenty of time to explore and take photos. On the other hand, I don't have my children or sports team to photograph, so I've been a bit out of my comfort zone. Even more, my free time is largely after dark. While I understand how to do night shots, I've not played much trying to get nice effects. I just don't have the mental starting point of what appature, shutter, and ISO will give me the effect that I like. And I have to admit that I'm not much of one to carry a tripod! So Friday night in Singapore, I headed down the main shopping street - Orchard Road - intent on really composing some nice night shots. I feel great about the effort. It was the first time that I was able to intentionally create bokeh.  Yeah for me! 





Singapore is a very modern city filled with interesting buildings.  This is the entrance of a shopping mall.  This is my favorite shot of the night because of the straight lines of this building structure and the curve on the left.  The hint of the moon behind the clouds is an extra little touch.
 
The official end of the Chinese New Year is Feb 4, so there are still some holiday decorations.  It is sort of like the 12 days of Christmas.  The start of the CNY celebration was Jan 25, but there are some decorations remaining for the end of the holiday.  I'm told that in China, the holiday season is marked by a massive exodus from the coastal cities inland. There are annual stories of overfull trains and busses that cannont handle the rust of holiday travelers. 

I like color streaks of the cars in this image.  The blue and yellow come from the colorful Sinagpore taxi's.  As I post this, I realize that I might need to crop a bit more on the right side to get rid of the crosswalk and allow focus on the color.   




These lights were wound on some trees along the street.  The photo is a bit dark, but I like how the lines flow from one tree to the next. 

2 comments:

  1. That is an entrance to a shopping mall?! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I loved the patterns and texture in the modern architecture there. I'll post more in the coming weeks.

      Delete